Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ice Fishing

Every year BF's siblings get together and give a a group gift to his parents. Something fun. This year they decided on ice fishing for the whole family. It worked out well because about a week go BF's father mentioned he would like to do that some time. He had no idea we already had it all planned because all the card mentioned was a "surprise" coming their way on a particular day. 

It was my first time ice fishing and I actually quite enjoyed myself. I would go again but without kids. It seemed the fishing was a lot better when there wasn't 4 pairs of little boots stomping around, lol. Speaking of boots. I bought my first pair since I was a child two months back to prepare for winter. Finding shoes in general is hard for me because my feet are oddly shaped. These guys were comfy so I bought them up at a great price. My toes were FREEZING part way through the day and never seemed to warm up. At one point I took them off and toasted my little piggies by the wood stove. Is that normal?

We started the morning off with breakfast at a restaurant the whole family seemed to be excited about and seemed to be familiar with. BF's Mom was super thrilled. Then we made our way to the river for ice fishing. BF made some excuse about having to use the toilet so we pulled off the road and down onto the river. Boom, we were there. 

Sorry for the lack of photos. I didn't take very many and most had people in them. I am only posting the one of my nephews waiting for fish because their faces are mostly covered. 


 Under the bridge in the Ice Shanty Town. I think BF said there's at least 100 where we were.
 Waiting for the fish to bite! We actually did pretty good. They are a quite small fish though.
 Hooks waiting to be baited. They were all the way along one wall.
 Our little shanty. I believe it was $25 per person which is a good price I think for a group activity.

The only thing that annoyed me was twice during our time there people selling things came into our shanty and started to bug us. I really felt it was annoying and it put a damper on what was happening inside. At one point there was also some weird looking guys going around outside checking out other peoples fish and carrying bags with them. I saw them take a bunch of fish from one cabin. Then they headed to ours. I saw them peeking in the window and I gave them the stink eye, lol. Finally they went away.

Besides the few weirdos and freezing toes I was quite happy with the overall experience. BF's parents and family seemed to enjoy it. We had two injuries though where people slipped on the ice and bumped their heads. Ouch :(

I would go back next year with BF and maybe do a couples weekend or something. I think it would be fun to try again.

Have you ever been ice fishing before?

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow... that's crazy!! I definitely would NOT go ice fishing.. I freeze sitting in a heated home, lol! Sad, I know. I don't do well with the cold, it takes me forever to warm up again. I do think it would be cool though, and had I a better "body thermostat", i'd probably like to go one day or another... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the wood stove going it would stay very warm. You could wear a t-shirt but once somebody opens the door and keeps it open a minute... BRRR. With 4 kidlets running in and out it was a little frustrating.

      Delete
  2. I have never been and I can honestly say I have no interest in going. I don't really have any interest in any winter activies whatsoever. LOL i know im boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That. Looks. COLD!

    BRRRR!!

    As a city girl, no... No ice fishing for me. I firmly believe that fish should only be found in supermarkets. ^___^;;

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.