Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Setting Goals For My Small Business

So I'm just over 3 months away from launching my Etsy shop. Thank you for your awesome comments lately on all my little creations. It definitely helps me feel more confident that I am on the right path. I'm slowly coming to realization that I'm finally really going to make a go at having my own business. I've wanted this for so long and am excited for what the future holds.

I've been preparing my work space, ordering supplies, and trying to get feedback on a few things. So far things seem to be working out pretty good for me. I would like to set up a space in our bedroom away from the playful kitties where I can work without distraction and fear of little paws batting at my projects.

I had originally thought I would open on Facebook at first. Gain some fans and then move on to Etsy. Then I realized that's not the path I want to take. I've been observing other people and it seems its hard to get their customers to make the move with them. I see how much work it is for them to be offering their products for sale on FB. I like the more streamline approach to Etsy. Yes, there are fees but the customers are more serious about purchasing and all transactions are tracked and stored for you. It will take a weight off my shoulders having that info available to me at all times.

I have been reading up on Etsy strategies and success stories. Trying to figure out how everything works so I can give it a good go right from the start. I've already learned so much from reading about other peoples experiences. I enjoy the community feel of the website. I remember my brother recommending Etsy to me as a selling tool probably 8 years or so ago but I never grabbed the reins and went for it.

With my dream soon becoming a reality it's time to sit down and write out goals. I need to keep focused on what I want to achieve with my business. I need to sort out how I want to attract and keep customers. I have to decide on what products I'm going to release at the launch and what I plan to add in to the mix down the road to keep things interesting for both my customers and myself. I have to figure out what creates a great customer experience. I need a timeline for my goals and a plan for how I'm going to do this around going to school full time starting next Monday.

There is just so much rattling around in my mind right now. It's hard to put it all into one post. That's why I've decided I need to sit down and write things out. I will make lists of things that I need to have ready before the launch. I will write out short and long term goals for my business. I will do all these things with a smile on my face because this is what I have wanted for so long. Intimidating but thrilling at the same time.

Any thoughts or advice you would like to offer?


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on making your dream a reality! I look forward to hearing about your first sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Etsy is great! I used to sell my handmade cards on their all the time... it's overall easy. Takes a bit of time to do all the listing, but once that's done it's smooth sailing!! :) Let me know when you're set up or if you want any "free" publicity! I'd be so happy to help get the word out about your beautiful creations on my blog!! :) Good luck, you're going to do AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carla you are the bestest!!! Listings and shipping scares me, lol.

      I was hoping you'd say that ;) I am considering a giveaway and discount code for your readers. Still sorting out the details on that. I appreciate all your kind words and support!

      Delete
  3. If you were in Ontario, I could easily give you tons of resources. But since you're in Quebec, I suggest you browsing the Canadian Youth Business Foundation. (http://www.cybf.ca) It's a good resource and they have an office in Quebec although I don't know about English speaking. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.