Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wrap Up Post - Trip Back to BC

I had a great time on my three week vacation. BF was a wonderful host and really gave me a lot to think about. I never thought there would be a chance in hell that I would consider a move away from my beloved Island to a province full of snow and a language I cant seem to conquer. Now I'm almost ready to pack up, sell off all my old furniture and make the leap. 
The first weekend I was there we took a trip with another couple to Quebec City. We stayed in the old city area and I loved the beauty of the buildings and how historic everything looked. We ate at good restaurants and took walks along the river. To finish off the weekend we went to the Ice Hotel which is something I've always wanted to do. It was a great weekend and it was really nice to spend time with two of BF's friends.
The second weekend BF and I did a road trip to Waterloo to visit family of mine. On our way there we stopped at Niagara Falls and viewed it from both the American and Canadian side. It was a miserable day but it was still a blast. We spent three nights in Waterloo with my family. We hung out, ate at great restaurants and just spent a lot of quality time together. It was a highlight for me because I really miss my family a lot and its hard having family across Canada that you get along with really well. I learned that if I move to Quebec I can take a super cheap train from Montreal to Toronto if I book 3 days ahead which makes me feel more comfortable and very excited at the prospect of spending more time with my Aunt and Brother. On our way back we stopped at the CN Tower. Now that was awesome. Scary as hell but so worth sucking it up and going for it.
The last weekend was more laid back. We went bowling with some of BF's friends I had never met. Turns out they were super awesome people that I genuinely liked. I bowled the infamous game that won me my own ball and BF has a new respect for my game. We also hosted a family dinner which was a success and made me realize that they like me more than I thought. Then BF and I spent the last Sunday visiting a Cabin de Sucre where we feasted on traditional delights and had a taste of maple water right from the tree. We also drove through a town that BF is interested in possibly living in at some point. I will elaborate on this more later but it was definitely right up my alley and he knew it.
I just had an incredible time overall. It was really hard leaving him and I think I'm about ready to make my decision. 

1 comment:

  1. Whatever decision you make will be the right one. I think you should go for it! You'll always be able to go home if it doesn't work and this would be a great experience for you -- you talk about wanting to speak French better and now you have no excuse but to practice, every day, having actual conversations. You adore your BF and this is going to be a great way to learn even more about where he comes from and what makes him him. And the adventures you will have will make for great blogging (which is my selfish reason for wanting you to go -- I want to read about your adventures).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.