Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Am Accepted

Today I had a meeting at the local Quebec employment office to find out if I qualify for job search assistance from them. Since I have a Diploma for Pharmacy Tech school I indeed meet qualifications and am so excited!!! The first step was to qualify as now I they will enroll me in full time French lessons.

It's been super frustrating and depressing not being able to communicate effectively since I moved here in July. I feel so lonely and caged in my apartment all day long by myself. It's started to really bring me down and make me yearn for my home town.

So the next step is for me to visit the 4 schools in different areas and see which one is best for me. There is one in Terrebonne which is closer to me. 2 in Laval and 1 in Montreal. There are pros and cons for each school. I have to consider things like commute, class schedule, class size, the instructor, the focus of the instructor and how it all works together to fit our current schedule.

 I visited the one closest to me but had lukewarm feelings about it. The class is small and people are at all different levels. There is only one instructor and so I don't know how much individual attention I would get. Its in the evening and there is a big 1 and a half hour break in the middle of it. I also was not sure about the instructor. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way and said they would focus a lot on speaking. I think that's what she thought I wanted to hear but honestly if I'm going to be working after this I need a balance of speaking, reading and writing. I believe it will be important for me to connect with the teacher to feel more comfortable.

Also this is the only one that is at night. I will have to commute at night in the snow during the winter. BF would be on an opposite schedule from me which means I would only see him on weekends and would not get to practice with him. The other students are mostly speaking Spanish so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to connect with people and honestly I'm hoping to make a friend or two :) *shy face*

Who knows? It's better to reserve my opinion until I see the other schools and how long it takes to commute back and forth. Although I'd rather be commuting than sitting in a cafeteria for an hour and a half eating a packed cold dinner. I'm getting ahead of myself. I am hoping to visit the other 3 schools before the end of the week because I have to choose soon. The waiting lists are sometimes 5-6 weeks long and I want to get on right away.

Full time French classes... very intimidating but necessary :)

 

2 comments:

  1. I honestly didn't know there was this program, I would of figured ur just on ur own LOL. Thats awesome that you got in and I wish you good luck in learning French!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Hope you find a school/teacher that fits with you well. I find that pretty important. I go to class once a week and it's not enough as I know I need to immerse myself more through television and newspapers/magazines/etc. Maybe you can join a club of some sort too to help practice your French? Sometimes Mochimac & Vanessa & I banter in French too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.