Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New Bed and Opinions Needed Please

Last week BF and I picked up our new bed. We got an amazing deal on it. We shopped around quite a bit for a new mattress. Finally we were at Leons and we found a discount area. There were mattresses stacked against the wall at really great prices. There was one regular $1200 down to $500 + taxes.

We moved it and set it up on the ground. BF and I laid on it and the heavens parted. No, not really. It was great though. Since we had done a lot of shopping many sales people had made us do a lot of testing of beds. We found we both like semi firm which is perfect.

We looked around the store more (I found some other things to lust over) and then asked to speak to a salesperson. We had a concern about the bed because it said it was 2nd hand on the tag? Huh? Since I have a weird paranoia about bedbugs and things after staying in Aussie hostels I needed to know what that meant. Turns out it had been the floor model at the store since November and now they aren't stocking that bed anymore so they were selling the model. I felt I could live with that.

This bed came with no warranty and a no return policy. We laid on it some more. Talked it out. We decided to go for it. Since we have a platform bedframe we didn't need the box spring which was an extra $150. The salesman said he's let it go for $100 but since we didn't NEED it (we could just buy some  wood slates to put under the mattress to protect it long term) we declined. BF asked him if he could do $500 tax included and the man checked with management and agreed. Deal made!

I was pretty happy. We were starting to get jaded looking at so many mattresses and they seem so pricey. $500 was more realistic for us and we got a kick ass mattress. We just love it.

There is a downside to this story. Our sheets don't fit. This sucker is massive. Well the silver lining is I get to buy new sheets. I did find some but after I washed them they didn't fit so I'm going to return them. I need sheets that have an 18inch pocket apparently. Yeesh! Well I found a duvet cover for 50% off that I love. BF not so much. I want your opinions.....

OK, so BF's parents offered us a box spring they had..... ahahahah what a joke.... look at how huge it was. I had to climb onto it. It was obscuring the headboard I love so much. Sheets... ahhhahaha. I think the box spring did make it a bit more comfy though... hmm.



So here is the duvet cover. What do u think? Its not super soft and there is a lot of white for people who have 2 cats and a messy man living in the house. I LOVE it though.... opinions???



 Pillowcase close up
 Oooh pretty design
Unstuffed, just laying it out to see how it fits the bed

So what do u think? I purchased the set for $45 as it was half price. I actually bought two. One king and one queen as I wasn't sure which would work better as we always tug-a-war for the blanket but this one seems appropriate (queen) even unstuffed.I will return the other with the sheets. Its a steal of a deal and I really do like it. Just the whiteness and softness are an issue. Maybe once its washed a few times it will be more snuggly.

Help!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. You can spend 1/3 of your life in bed, so I strongly believe its a place where you should buy quality, comfort and something you love. So I have to take BF's side on this as it is half his bed. If he doesn't love it, then you need to find something you both love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooooooooooo! Haha Well at least you are honest. Truth be told he doesn't love the pattern but then he says he doesn't give a poop.. whatever makes me happy. I mean he's the kind of guy who will have the ugliest everything because he just does not care. I have to add the pretty in his life. In more ways than one :)

      Delete
    2. Well if he doesn't actually care, then go for it! The pattern is pretty, adds a bit of colour and white rooms always scream serenity to me.

      Delete
  2. It'll probably soften with a couple of washes. Either way, I say you should keep this one. You're going to need a 2nd one eventually anyway as one might be in the wash. Keep this one for now and when one goes on sale, BF can choose one he likes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.