Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Evaluation Test - Check

So today I had my placement exam for French school. My MIL and SIL came with me. It's a good thing because BF completely told me the wrong place to go. Ugh. Luckily I got to the school and there was a wait to get into the class so I didn't appear late.
I was given a CD, a booklet and an answer sheet. I listened to the tape for 10 minutes before I got bored, started flipping through the booklet and realized I was supposed to use them both at once. Everything was in French. No English instructions anywhere. Very confusing. I almost gave up before I started :(
The first part consisted of 29 questions and took 1 hour because you follow along with the CD. It was multiple choice but I still marked 10 with question marks. I had no clue. The rest I gave it my best shot to pick the right answer. It was way over my head. I felt it was better to leave them blank to give an honest assessment.
When I finished the first section I took it up to the teacher and waited while she marked it. Then she told me I didn't do well enough to move onto the next section. I just smiled and said "merci". Oh boy. I know the point was not to score high.. just to figure out what I know but it still didn't feel very good.
The results get sent back to registration and I will FINALLY be put on the waiting list for classes. I hope I get in sooner than later. It's really holding me back from a lot of things. I'm not sure how many people are ahead of me but it might be a long wait.  *le sigh*

2 comments:

  1. keep you tete up mon amie! While you're waiting start imersing yourself in French -- borrow books on tape from the library that you already know in English (Dr. Seuss for example) so you understand the story, but get to hear the words. Go to coffee shops and eavesdrop (heck I do it in English all of the time :), watch movies you love in French. Then by the time you are in that class, you will at least be ready to hear French all of the time and can talk about your new favorite books and movies as well as some gossip AND probably have perfected your accent ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you didn't guess. This way you'll be properly assessed and put in the right class. :)

    I'm practicing French as well. Every morning I read one article in French to help me learn the language.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.