Thursday, November 29, 2012

Winter Wonderland

It started yesterday and it's still going. Our first snow of the year. Well actually that is not true. We had some flakes blowing around a few days ago but nothing like this. I let the boys (kitties) out to play in it. It's not the first time they have seen snow but I'm not sure if they remember it.

Chipotle kept lifting his paws out of the snow looking pretty annoyed at the coldness and how the flakes stuck to his fur. He paced around our back deck for awhile unsure of his game plan. He LOVES to go outside. He wakes me up crying because he's so desperate to go outside. He's an adventurous soul who loves to investigate everything. I thought he would come back in but the moment I turned my back he slipped away and I saw his tip of his tail going around the corner.

Pepper is more of a homebody. He will go outside, roll around and check things out and then want in 5 minutes later. He's content to snuggle with me on the couch and follow me like a mini shadow through out the day. He seemed rather ok with the snow. I think he was happy there was something to dig in again since the ground has been frozen for awhile. He promptly dug a little hole in the snow and peed. He had a method of walking through the snow where he cleared a space with his paws and then walked forward and lingered in that spot as he made his way slowly through.

They are trained now to come sit in front of the window when they want in. They are very intelligent and have realized it's the best way to get my attention. I see them peering in to see if I'm there and then if they spot me they meow at me. Pepper is a little more insistent and will come and slam his paws on the door or stand up on his tippy toes to check through the glass in the door. Then when I let him in he chirps at me as if to say "what took you so long".

I always feel anxious when they are outside. We live on a road which is just off a very busy intersection and highway. I only let Chipotle out at low traffic times of the day. He checks in every once and awhile which is great. Today is his first day venturing out in the snow for an extended period alone. I'm feeling nervous about it but I guess that's how all Mom's feel when their babies spread their wings.

Here is Pepper testing out the snow. Chipotle was gone to fast for any photos.


2 comments:

  1. Pepper is like me. I will poke my head outside to check the snow and then I'll come back inside thinking, "Meh. Nothing special."

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.