Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Dreaded Holiday

As much as I love Halloween I completely loathe dislike Christmas. I find it a really stressful and annoying holiday. Maybe once we have kids it will be different but even as a child it wasn't my favorite time of year.

This year we'll be spending Christmas in Quebec. I wish I could be home for the holidays in BC but flights are so expensive and everyone is so busy. I'd rather wait until after all the craziness is over.

My SIL next door is hosting this year. They have a fantastic two level garage that we're going to celebrate in. I know it sounds a little strange but we already use it as the hang out spot and it's very comfy.
She has enlisted me to help decorate and plan games/activities. She's also asked if I'd like to  make some munchies and dessert. I'm slowly getting a reputation for fun new foods.

I think the general plan is for us to spend Christmas eve together having dinner. Then the next day we have a big breakfast, open gifts and spend the day hanging out and competing in a games tournament.

BF and I have done absolutely no Christmas shopping. As far as I know nobody is exchanging gifts really. Usually a big gift is bought for my MIL and FIL that everyone pitches in for. Everyone gets something for the kids and then there is a secret Santa exchange for the adults. This year we've been told not to buy gifts for the kids. It's a little confusing. I'm not really sure what's happening. So BF and I are going to make "fun coupons" for the kids. A book of things they can redeem with us for fun times. I might attach it to a little something :)

I'm looking for handmade options for everyone else. I had told my SIL how last year my family in BC did a "make it or bake" holiday. She seemed to like that idea. So I think I should have something in mind just in case. If I find the right wool I might make some dryer balls for everyone. Paired with some homemade goodies. Not sure yet.


So I'm looking for ideas :)

What would be a good coupon for younger boys? (we did a "movie night for you and a friend" once for example)

What is a good homemade option for adults? (3 different couples)


5 comments:

  1. Sounds fun!! Coupons are a great idea! How old are the boys? I'd say paintball guns, go-karts, rock-climbing, etc... Something "adventurous" & active for boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some cheap but fun options for the boys: bowling. watergun/waterballon fights in the park (during the summer). Skating/Hockey at the local rink.

    Homemade options for adults: Anything baked or cooked like homemade truffles, or lasagna or even your own flavoured olive oil. (Simply put spices into olive oil and let it rest in a dark place to absorb the flavours.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are tons of homemade gifts ideas you can but it depends on how much money you want to spend on each project. If you want it as cheap as possible, I would stick to cooking/baking. I'm making this clock for my best friend:http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com/2010/12/personal-picture-clocks.html. But it will cost about $25.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some fantastic ideas Ladies! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like to get some kind of little Christmas containers (or stockings) and fill them with different candy, fruits, nuts - just like we use to get when we were little munchkins! I'm sure they'll love whatever you give them, since you are giving with LOVE! (ps - found you through Lena's blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.