Wednesday, October 10, 2012

4.5 Earthquake

Just a half hour ago we experienced a 4.5 earthquake. I was sitting on our couch on my laptop when it started. The building started shaking and there was a fairly loud low rumble. I yelled out for BF who was sleeping in the bedroom (it was 12.19am). He felt and heard it too.
It was very scary. My first instincts were to wake BF and scoop up the furchildren. I wanted to run outside. With all my earthquake training I know you're not supposed to do that but I live on the bottom floor so .... you get it.
Moving from Vancouver Island I thought I'd escaped this but I suppose not. I have experienced my fair share of earthquakes living there. I've been woken out of a dead sleep. I've seen things knocked over by the shaking. This was the first time I heard that horrible sound. That's what poured fear into my heart as I glanced over at my two little guys staring at me with alarmed faces.  :(
I hate earthquakes so much. They freak me out.
Living on the Island we were always doing earthquake drills and being told to prepare for the "big one". Everyone says its inevitable that it's going to happen at some point. On the Island though the more scary thought is that an earthquake can be paired with a Tsunami. *shudders*
I have to say though that information was available almost instantly online for me to be able to confirm my suspicions which helped me calm down. If you are curious here is the link:

Earthquake Info

Sorry if this post is all over the place. BF went back to bed and I'm still jittery.

Have you ever been in an earthquake before? Do you have an emergency kit prepared?

3 comments:

  1. Eek!! I just read about this yesterday, you must be where my brother is!! I'd be jittery after too! ((hugs)) I've been in "minor" earthquakes, but never noticed, so not enough to bother me at all... I don't have an emergency kit prepared, no. I probably should huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the earthquakes has happened around the Ottawa/Montreal area a few times in recent years. Thankfully, nothing serious. We have no emergency plan as it's so seldom. It's suprising that eastern Ontario/western Quebec has had so much activity in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds scary! Glad you're ok though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.