Saturday, October 13, 2012

Surprise Thanksgiving!!!



Last weekend was Thanksgiving. It is one of highlights of October in my opinion. Who doesn't love getting together for a delicious turkey dinner with the family? Crazy people that's who. I was disappointed to learn that BF's family doesn't celebrate Turkey day. Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaatttt? Boourns!
I had spent the day driving around with them during the week before and in the car I told them how much I love turkey dinners. I told them about how my family gets together and we have a great time celebrating. I shared my sadness that there would not be any Thanksgiving this year. Well there would be... but not for me. I told them I was probably going to wait until the week after, purchase a cheap one and eat all by myself, lol.
The night before Thanksgiving I stayed up most of the night talking online to my family. They were going to be having the annual dinner the next day and I was super jealous and heartbroken. I've been very homesick lately. I cried before I went to sleep.
The next day I was slumping around the house in my sweats all mopey bear. BF came in the house and asked me to come see Chipotle sitting way up in the tree. I went out and played with my cats in the yard for a few  minutes. Then my MIL came and started to talk to me. She asked if I bought my turkey yet. I said no. She asked me to come in the garage to see my FIL. So the 4 of us were in the garage laughing and talking. Then it happened....
FIL brought up turkeys and then told me he went out that morning and searched for a fresh turkey. It was in the oven and we spoke. He told me he wanted to do something nice for me and so they were surprising me with Thanksgiving dinner and the whole family was invited. (crying as I'm typing this). I was so shocked. I thought he was kidding at first. Then when it sunk in I started bawling. LOL. Then everyone else started crying. I was so excited and touched.
I went to the grocery with BF to pick up some things. Once we got home I made cranberry sauce for the first time ever and it was delicious. I packed it up in a cute little jar. BF made an apple crisp and we went upstairs to his parents apartment.
Everything was laid out very fancy. I helped my MIL prepare some veggie plates. We opened wine and drank Ceasers. Then we started dishing up. The food was amazing! As soon as we were all seated and the wine was poured FIL decided a toast was in order. He toasted to the family's first thanksgiving in honor of me. This of course made me well up again with tears but I kept it in check this time. Everyone clinked glasses and we chowed down.

Best feeling ever!!!! Made me feel like part of the family.

I will post the recipe for the cranberry sauce on Wednesday :)




3 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! I'm glad you got your Turkey Day:) It became a new tradition for me after moving to US but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what Thanksgiving should be all about, enjoying it with family. It's always nice to feel welcomed by the in-laws. That looks like a mighty delicious bird by the way.. Gobble gobble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me tear up reading it! Having your bf's family accept you is such a fabulous feeling :):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Each one feels like a beautifully wrapped gift under the Christmas tree.